Khelo India Youth Games 2021
- 27 Jul 2020
- 2 min read
Why in News
Recently, the government has announced that Haryana will host the fourth edition of Khelo India Youth Games (KIYG).
- The 2021 Khelo India Youth Games are scheduled to take place after the 2021 Tokyo Olympics and will be held in Panchkula (Haryana).
- The 2021 Tokyo Olympics are set to open on 23rd July.
- In 2020, for the first time, the Olympics were postponed following the Covid-19 outbreak.
- Usually, the KIYG takes place in January of every year.
- KIYG is a part of the revamped national programme for development of sports ‘Khelo India’ which was approved by the Union Cabinet in 2017. The 2020 edition of KIYG was held in Guwahati (Assam).
- The Khelo India Scheme aims to encourage sports all over the country, thus allowing the population to harness the power of sports through its cross-cutting influence, namely holistic development of children & youth, community development, social integration, gender equality, healthy lifestyle, national pride and economic opportunities related to sports development.
- Under the Scheme, talented players identified in priority sports disciplines at various levels are provided annual financial assistance of Rs. 5 lakh per annum for 8 years.
- Khelo India App, developed by the Sports Authority of India (SAI), aims to create awareness about sports and fitness in the country.
- SAI is under the Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports.