Important Facts For Prelims
Khelo India University Games 2020
- 22 Feb 2020
- 2 min read
Why in News
- The Prime Minister will launch the first-ever Khelo India University Games in Cuttack (Odisha) on February 22, 2020.
- The Khelo India University Games are being launched by the Government of India in association with the Government of Odisha.
- It is an aspirational competition for India’s youngsters with the objective of helping them find the balance between sport and education.
- It is the largest ever competition held at the university level in India and will have about 3500 athletes from over 150 universities across the country taking part in it.
- There will be a total of 17 sports namely archery, athletics, boxing, fencing, judo, swimming, weightlifting, wrestling, badminton, basketball, football, hockey, table tennis, tennis, volleyball, rugby and kabaddi.
- The Khelo India programme has been introduced to revive the sports culture in India at the grass-root level by building a strong framework for all sports played in our country.
- It also aims to establish India as a great sporting nation.
- It is implemented by the Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports.
- Under the scheme, the talented players identified in priority sports disciplines at various levels (by the High-Powered Committee) will be provided annual financial assistance of INR 5 lakh per annum for 8 years.