- 19 Dec 2019
- 2 min read
Why in News
Telangana State government has requested the Centre to treat Kaleshwaram Lift Irrigation Project (KLIP) as a National Project.
- National Projects are provided Central grant of 90% of the estimated cost for their completion in a time bound manner.
Kaleshwaram Lift Irrigation Project
- It was initiated in 2016 on the Godavari River.
- It is designed to irrigate 45 lakh acres for two crops in a year, meet the drinking water requirement of 70% of the state and also cater to the needs of the industry.
- The Centre under the Andhra Pradesh Reorganisation Act, 2014 is mandated to support programmes for the development of backward areas in the successor States, including expansion of physical and social infrastructure.
- 9 out of 10 districts of Telangana (It had 10 districts when it separated. Now it has 33 districts) were covered under the Backward Regions Grant Fund.
- To provide drinking water and restore irrigation tanks, Mission Bhagiratha and Mission Kakatiya were taken up respectively.
Backward Region Grant Fund
- It is a programme implemented by the Ministry of Panchayati Raj in 272 identified backward districts in all States of the country except Goa.
- It is designed to redress regional imbalances in development.
- It consists of two funding window namely Development Grant and Capacity Building.
Andhra Pradesh Reorganisation Act, 2014
- Also known as Telangana Act, it received the President's assent on 01 March 2014.
- It requires the State of Andhra Pradesh to initiate activities related to creation of successor states including the apportionment of assets, liabilities, employees, contracts etc. between the two successor states.