Important Facts For Prelims
Sahitya Akademi Awards 2019
- 19 Dec 2019
- 2 min read
Why in News
Recently, Sahitya Akademi has announced its annual Sahitya Akademi Awards 2019.
- The awardees will receive an engraved copper-plaque, a shawl and an amount of Rs. 1 lakh.
- Indian film-maker Satyajit Ray is the designer of the plaque awarded by the Sahitya Akademi.
Sahitya Akademi Awards
- Sahitya Akademi award established in 1954, is a literary honour that is conferred annually by Sahitya Akademi, India’s National Academy of letters.
- Akademi gives 24 awards annually to literary works in the languages it has recognized and an equal number of awards to literary translations from and into the languages of India.
- Besides the 22 languages enumerated in the Constitution of India, the Sahitya Akademi has recognised English and Rajasthani as languages in which its programme may be implemented.
- Sahitya Akademi award is the second-highest literary honour by the Government of India, after Jananpith award.
- The author must be of Indian Nationality.
- Book/work eligible for the award must be an outstanding contribution to the language and literature to which it belongs.
- When equal merit for books of two or more are found, certain criteria like total literary contribution and standing of authors shall be taken into consideration for declaring award.