Important Facts For Prelims
Induction of Apache Helicopter
- 04 Sep 2019
- 1 min read
Recently, Indian Air Force has formally inducted the AH-64E Apache Attack Helicopter into its inventory at Air Force Station Pathankot.
AH-64E Apache Attack Helicopter
- Better known as an attack helicopter are received from the Boeing production facility in Mesa, Arizona, USA.
- Apache will replace Russian origin MI-35 helicopters that are on the verge of retirement.
- These are all-weather capable, easily maintainable and have high agility and survivability against battle damage.
- The capabilities of the AH-64E Apache Attack Helicopter includes:
- It can carry out precision attacks at standoff ranges and operate in hostile airspace with threats from the ground.
- It can transmit and receive battlefield picture through data uplinking and networking.
- It can also shoot fire and forget anti-tank guided missiles, air to air missiles, rockets while providing versatility to helicopter in network-centric aerial warfare.
- It also carries fire control radar, which has a 360° coverage and nose-mounted sensor suite for target acquisition and night vision systems.
- The addition of Apache Attack Helicopter is a significant step towards modernisation of Indian Air Force helicopter fleet.