India International Science Festival 2020
- 21 Oct 2020
- 2 min read
Why in News
The 6th edition of the India International Science Festival (IISF) will be held virtually in 2020.
- The 5th edition was held in Kolkata in 2019.
- IISF: It is a festival to celebrate the achievements of India’s scientific and technological advancements with students, innovators, craftsmen, farmers, scientists and technocrats from India and abroad.
- It was launched in 2015 to promote Science and Technology and demonstrate how science could lead India towards a developed nation within a short span of time.
- Aim: To engage the public with science and celebrate the joy of science and show the ways how science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM) provide solutions to improve people's lives.
- Organising Agencies: Ministry of Science & Technology and Ministry of Earth Sciences in association with Vijnana Bharati (VIBHA) organise IISF every year.
- IISF 2020: The Council of Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR) will spearhead the IISF 2020 with support of all other concerned ministries and departments.
- CSIR is funded by the Ministry of Science and Technology.
- Swadeshi Science Movement was started in Indian Institute of Science- Bengaluru by a few eminent scientists under the guidance of Prof. K I Vasu.
- This movement gradually gained momentum and emerged as an organization with national presence.
- In 1991, it was decided to launch the Swadeshi Science Movement at all India Level and named it Vijnana Bharati.
- It’s one of the objectives is to motivate young scientists towards greater creativity and originality.
- It is headquartered in New Delhi.