Fifth India International Science Festival
- 04 Nov 2019
- 2 min read
Why in News
- The Prime Minister of India will inaugurate the Fifth India International Science Festival (IISF) on 5th November, 2019.
- Host City: The four-day science festival is being organized in Kolkata from 5th - 8th November, 2019.
- Theme: RISEN India –Research, Innovation and Science Empowering the Nation
- Vigyanika - International Science Literature Festival is being organised as part of the 5th IISF.
- It is being coordinated by the CSIR-National Institute of Science Communication and Information Resources (CSIR-NISCAIR), Vigyan Prasar and Vigyan Bharati.
- It will feature innovative formats of science communication such as drama, poetry, and magic. A Science Book Fair will also be a major attraction of Vigyanika.
India International Science Festival
- IISF is the largest science festival in the world. It is an annual festival to celebrate the achievements of India’s scientific and technological advancements with students, innovators, craftsmen, farmers, scientists and technocrats from India and abroad.
- It was started from the year 2015.
- It is organized by the Ministry of Science & Technology, Ministry of Earth Sciences and Vijnana Bharati (Vibha).
- Swadeshi Science Movement was started in Indian Institute of Science- Bengaluru by a few eminent scientists under the guidance of Prof. K I Vasu.
- This movement gradually gained momentum and emerged as an organization with national presence.
- In 1991, it was decided to launch the Swadeshi Science Movement at all India Level and named it as Vijnana Bharati.
- It’s one of the objectives is to motivate young scientists towards greater creativity and originality.
- It is headquartered in New Delhi.