IDEAthon on ‘The Future of River Management’
- 04 May 2020
- 3 min read
Why in News
Recently, the National Mission for Clean Ganga (NMCG) and the National Institute of Urban Affairs (NIUA) organized an IDEAthon on “The Future of River Management’.
- The event aimed to explore how the Covid-19 crisis can shape river management strategies for the future.
- The IDEAthon sought to brainstorm the learnings from Covid-19 pandemic, the following lockdown and its impact on river management.
- It examined how the social angle of rivers can be leveraged on to address other crises.
- It sought to create a framework called River Management in a city’s Urban river management plan.
- It aimed to garner more attention towards river management and also highlight the interconnectivity of cities with the river.
- Namami Gange (implemented by the NMCG) and NIUA plan to bring out a policy paper based on the deliberations of the IDEAthon for river management.
National Mission for Clean Ganga
- It is the implementation wing of the National Ganga Council.
- NMCG was established in the year 2011 as a registered society. It is under the Ministry of Jal Shakti.
- It has a two-tier management structure and comprises the Governing Council and Executive Committee.
- To ensure effective control of pollution and rejuvenation of the river Ganga by adopting a river basin approach to promote inter-sectoral coordination for comprehensive planning and management.
- To maintain minimum ecological flows in the river Ganga with the aim of ensuring water quality and environmentally sustainable development.
National Institute of Urban Affairs (NIUA)
- NIUA is an institute for research, training and information dissemination in urban development and management.
- It is located in New Delhi, India.
- It was established in 1976 as an autonomous body under the Societies Registration Act.
- The Institute is supported by the Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs,Government of India, State Governments, urban and regional development authorities and other agencies concerned with urban issues