High Ambition Coalition for Nature and People
- 08 Oct 2021
- 2 min read
Why in News
Recently, India joined the High Ambition Coalition (HAC) for Nature and People.
- India is the first of the BRICS (Brazil, Russia, India, China and South Africa) to join the HAC.
- It is an intergovernmental group championing a global deal for nature and people that can halt the accelerating loss of species, and protect vital ecosystems that are the source of our economic security.
- It was launched in 2019 by Costa Rica, France and Britain.
- It is co-chaired by Costa Rica and France and the Ocean co-chair belongs to the United Kingdom.
- To promote an international agreement to protect at least 30% of the world's land and ocean by 2030 (Global 30×30 target).
- To manage the planet sustainably with no net loss of natural habitats, supported by a circular economy, and strives for the sustainable and equitable sharing of benefits from nature.
- It has more than 70 countries which are a mix of countries in the global north and south, European, Latin American, Africa and Asia countries are among the members.
- Related Initiatives: