Switch To Hindi
Green Energy Corridor
- 07 Jan 2022
- 3 min read
For Prelims: Features of the Green Energy Corridor Scheme, Initiatives for the Green Energy
For Mains: India’s initiatives for renewable energy, India’s renewable energy targets and associated challenges
Why in News
Recently, the Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs approved the scheme on Green Energy Corridor (GEC) Phase-II for Intra-State Transmission System (InSTS).
- Phase 1 of the Green Energy Corridor is already under implementation in Gujarat, Andhra Pradesh, Karnataka, Himachal Pradesh, Maharashtra, Madhya Pradesh, Tamil Nadu, and Rajasthan.
- It is working for the grid integration and power evacuation of about 24GW of Renewable Energy.
- It will facilitate grid integration and power evacuation of approximately 20 GW of Renewable Energy (RE) power projects in seven States namely, Gujarat, Himachal Pradesh, Karnataka, Kerala, Rajasthan, Tamil Nadu and Uttar Pradesh.
- The transmission systems will be created over a period of five year from Financial Year 2021-22 to 2025-26.
- It is targeted to be set up with a total estimated cost of Rs. 12, 031 crores, and the Central Finance Assistance (CFA) will be 33% of the project cost.
- The CFA will help in offsetting the Intra-State transmission charges and thus keep the power costs down.
- It aims at synchronizing the electricity produced from renewable resources, such as wind and solar, with the conventional power stations in the grid.
- It aims to achieve the target of 450 GW installed RE capacity by 2030.
- The objective of the GEC is to evacuate approx. 20,000 MW of large-scale renewable power and improvement of the grid in implementing states.
- It will contribute to the long-term energy security of India and will promote ecologically sustainable growth by reducing carbon footprint.
- It will facilitate in generating large direct and indirect employment opportunities for both the skilled and unskilled personnel.
Initiatives related to Green Energy
- International Solar Alliance
- One Sun, One World, One Grid (OSOWOG).
- National Solar Mission.
- Pradham Mantri Kisan Urja Suraksha evam Utthaan Mahabhiyaan (PM KUSUM)
- Atal Jyoti Yojana
- Suryamitra Skill Development Programme
- Solar Park Scheme and Grid Connected Solar Rooftop Scheme
- Rewa Solar Power Plant.
- National Wind-Solar Hybrid Policy 2018.
- Hydrogen Based Fuel Cells Vehicles.