Gond Tribals & Covid-19
- 30 Mar 2020
- 1 min read
Why in News
- While people are struggling for masks and sanitizers in the urban areas, Gond tribal people living in Panna, Madhya Pradesh have devised their own way to make masks to fight coronavirus.
- Tribal people are making masks with medicinal leaves and following traditional ways to prevent the spread of the coronavirus.
- Gonds are one of the largest tribal groups in the world.
- They mostly live in Madhya Pradesh, Chhattisgarh, Maharashtra, Andhra Pradesh, Gujarat, Jharkhand, Karnataka, Telangana, Uttar Pradesh, West Bengal and Odisha.
- Gonds are subdivided into four tribes:
- Raj Gonds
- Madia Gonds
- Dhurve Gonds
- Khatulwar Gonds
- Their staple food is two kinds of millet: kodo and kutki.
- Rice is mostly consumed during festival feasts.
- Gonds believe that earth, water and air are ruled by Gods.
- They majorly speak Gondi which is an unwritten language of the Dravidian family.
- It has been notified as a Scheduled Tribe.