- 09 Oct 2019
- 3 min read
The Ganga Aamantran Abhiyan is an exploratory open-water rafting and kayaking expedition on the Ganga River that is to be held between 10th October 2019 to 11th November 2019.
- The expedition will start at Devprayag (Uttarakhand) and will culminate at Ganga Sagar (West Bengal) covering the entire stretch of the Ganga River.
- This is the first-ever effort by National Mission for Clean Ganga to raft across the entire stretch of the river.
- The expedition is expected to draw focused attention to the ecological challenges being faced by Ganga.
- It is the longest ever social campaign undertaken through an adventure sporting activity to spread the message of river rejuvenation and water conservation on a massive scale.
- A nine-member team of swimmers and rafters from the three services of the Indian Armed Forces will organize mass cleaning drives, interact with students of the village/city and will further spread the message of river conservation.
- Apart from the awareness campaign, the team from CSIR–Indian Institute of Toxicology Research will collect water samples from across diverse ranges of the river for the purpose of water testing, while members of the Wildlife Institute of India will undertake flora and fauna census for the year 2019.
- The expedition will encompass the five Ganga basin states that includes, Uttarakhand, Uttar Pradesh, Jharkhand, Bihar, and West Bengal.
- Ganga Aamantran also aims to connect various Ganga’s stakeholders in order to improve its water quality.
Council of Scientific & Industrial Research- Indian Institute of Toxicology Research (CSIR- IITR)
- CSIR-IITR is a leading laboratory of CSIR in toxicology research that aims to mitigate the problems associated with human health and the environment.
- It was established in 1965 and is based in Lucknow, UP.
Wildlife Institute of India
- The Wildlife Institute of India (WII) is an autonomous institution under the Ministry of Environment Forest and Climate change.
- It was established in 1982.
- It is based in Dehradun, Uttarakhand.
- It offers training programs, academic courses, and advisory in wildlife research and management.