Empowered ‘Technology Group’ on Emerging Technologies
- 20 Feb 2020
- 1 min read
Why in News
The Union Cabinet has approved the constitution of an empowered “Technology Group” to advise the Government on priorities and strategies for research on emerging technologies across sectors.
- Composition: It will be a 12-member group with the Principal Scientific Adviser to the Government of India (Prof. K VijayRaghavan) as its Chair.
- To render timely policy advice on latest technologies;
- Mapping of technology and technology products;
- Commercialisation of dual use technologies developed in national laboratories and government Research and Development (R&D) organisations;
- Developing an indigenisation road map for selected key technologies; and
- Selection of appropriate R&D programs leading to technology development.
- The group will also facilitate cross-sector collaborations and research alliances with universities and private companies and formulate “standards and a common vocabulary” to screen proposals for research and development.
- The three pillars of the work of the Technology Group include:
- Policy Support;
- Procurement Support; and
- Support on Research and Development proposals.