Important Facts For Prelims
Switch To Hindi
Elder Line: Toll-Free Number for Elderly
- 29 Sep 2021
- 2 min read
Why in News
Recently, the Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment launched the Elder Line, the first Pan-India toll-free helpline number (14567) for Senior Citizens, ahead of International Day of Older Persons, which is observed on 1st October every Year.
- Earlier SAGE (Seniorcare Aging Growth Engine) initiative was launched.
- It provides information, guidance, emotional support - particularly on pension, medical and legal issues - besides immediate assistance in cases of abuse.
- It is devised to provide all senior citizens, or their well-wishers, with ONE platform across the country to connect and share their concerns and get information and guidance on problems that they face on a day-to-day basis.
- According to the Longitudinal Ageing Study of India, India will have over 319 million elderly by 2050 compared to the 120 million now.
- The senior citizen population faces several challenges such as mental, financial, emotional, physical, and legal.
- The Covid-19 pandemic has aggravated the situation of senior citizens.
- Other Initiatives Related to Elderly:
- Ageing is a continuous, irreversible, universal process, which starts from conception till the death of an individual.
- However, the age at which one’s productive contribution declines and one tends to be economically dependent can probably be treated as the onset of the aged stage of life.
- The National Elderly Policy defines people in the 60+ age group as elderly.