E-Governance for Civil Aviation
- 18 Nov 2021
- 2 min read
Why in News
Recently, the Ministry of Civil Aviation has launched the e-Governance for Civil Aviation (e-GCA) online platform through which the Civil Aviation will provide 298 services including pilot licensing and medical examination.
- The launch of the e-GCA project under DGCA (Directorate General of Civil Aviation) was part of the 100-day plan for the aviation sector. The portal was developed by Tata Consultancy Services.
- It is a portal for the dissemination of information and providing online, speedy service delivery in a secure environment.
- It offers an end-to-end solution including several software applications, connectivity with all the regional offices.
- It will provide services to various DGCA stakeholders such as Pilots, Aircraft Maintenance Engineers, Air Traffic Controllers, Air Operators, Airport Operators, Flying Training Organizations, Maintenance and Design organizations, among others.
- It aims at enhancing the efficiency of the various services of DGCA and increasing accountability and transparency across all DGCA functions.
- Eliminating operational inefficiencies
- Minimizing personal interaction
- Improving regulatory reporting
- Enhancing transparency
- Increasing productivity
- As a single-window platform it will induce a monumental change through the automation of the process and functions of DGCA.
- It will offer a strong base of IT infrastructure and service delivery framework.
- It is a step towards ‘ease of doing business’. It would add significant value to the safety regulatory framework of DGCA.
Directorate General of Civil Aviation
- It is an attached office of the Ministry of Civil Aviation.
- It is the regulatory body in the field of Civil Aviation primarily dealing with safety issues.
- It is responsible for regulation of air transport services to/from/within India and for enforcement of civil air regulations, air safety and airworthiness standards.
- It also co-ordinates all regulatory functions with the International Civil Aviation Organisation.