Dindigul Lock and Kandangi Saree
- 30 Aug 2019
- 1 min read
The Geographical Indications Registry has granted the Geographical Indication (GI) tag to two products from Tamil Nadu: Dindigul lock and Kandangi saree.
- The Dindigul locks are known throughout the world for their superior quality and durability, so much so that even the city (Dindigul) is called Lock City.
- Government institutions such as prisons, godowns, hospitals, and even temples use these locks instead of other machine-made ones.
- The Kandangi sarees are manufactured in the entire Karaikudi taluk in Sivaganga district.
- Worn in summer, these are characterised by large contrast borders. Some are known to have borders covering as far as two-thirds of the saree which is usually around 5.10 m-5.60 m in length.
- A GI Tag indicates that the product originates from a definite territory in India and has unique characteristics or qualities.