Electromagnetic Interference, Compatibility and Pulse
- 30 Aug 2019
- 4 min read
The Society for Applied Microwave Electronics Engineering and Research (SAMEER) with its vast experience in the areas of Electromagnetic Interference, Compatibility and Pulse (EMI/EMC/EMP) can help Defence Services, academic institutions, public and private industries to evolve better.
Electromagnetic Pulse (EMP)
- It is a short burst of electromagnetic energy.
- A pulse's origin may be a natural or man-made in occurrence.
- It has the potential to disrupt, degrade, and damage technology and critical infrastructure systems.
- At higher energy levels a powerful EMP event such as a lightning strike can damage physical objects such as buildings and aircraft structures.
- It can also affect large geographic areas, disrupting elements critical to the nation’s security and economic prosperity and could adversely affect global commerce and stability
- In a world ridden with conflicts, electromagnetism can be misused and weaponised.
- Smart cities which are run on Information and Communication Technologies are also extremely vulnerable to EMP.
- It could also directly or indirectly permeate the national security establishment, including the military and intelligence community, undermining their ability to respond to the national command authority and provide for the country’s security.
- To avert threats like Electromagnetic Pulse (EMP) attacks, developing futuristic defence mechanisms and creation of EMP- resistant infrastructure is necessary.
Electromagnetic Interference (EMI)
- When the radio frequency spectrum is disturbed by an external source it affects an electrical circuit by electromagnetic induction,it is called as Electromagnetic Interference.
- The disturbance may degrade the performance of the circuit or even stop it from functioning.
- Both man-made and natural sources can be generated by changing electrical currents and voltages which can create EMI.
- It can be used intentionally for radio jamming especially in electronic warfare.
Electromagnetic Compatibility (EMC)
- It is the ability of electrical equipment and systems to function acceptably in their electromagnetic environment.
- It works by limiting the unintentional generation, propagation and reception of electromagnetic energy which may cause unwanted effects such as electromagnetic interference (EMI) or even physical damage in operational equipment.
- The goal of EMC is to maintain regular operation of different equipment in a common electromagnetic environment.
The Society for Applied Microwave Electronics Engineering and Research (SAMEER)
- It was set up as an autonomous R & D laboratory under the then Department of Electronics, Government of India.
- It aims to undertake R & D work in the areas of Microwave Engineering and Electromagnetic Engineering Technology.
- It has R&D centres at Mumbai,Chennai and Kolkata.
- It has developed:
- India's first MST Radar which is also the 2nd largest in the world.
- India's first indigenously developed Linear Accelerator for Cancer treatment.
- Energy efficient Drying/Heating System for textile, Food, Ceramic, Chemical, Pharma, Rubber applications through RF/Microwave.
- Microwave dis-infection system for hazardous hospital waste.