Devices for Disabled and Elderly
- 14 May 2020
- 2 min read
Why in News
The Department of Science and Technology has helped in developing various assistive tools, devices and technological solutions to mitigate the impact of Covid-19 among Divyangjan and Elderly through a programme on Technology Interventions for Disabled and Elderly (TIDE).
- Technology Interventions for Disabled and Elderly (TIDE):
- It is the Department of Science and Technology’s (DST) focused initiative on Science and Technology (S&T) interventions for the benefit of elderly and also the differently-abled Divyangjan persons in the country.
- In addition to improving the quality-of-life of the target population with appropriate and/or innovative scientific technological interventions, TIDE also aims at giving them autonomy, and independence through holistic development by creating requisite enabling environments for their empowerment.
- Proposals on Research and Development for technological solutions with multidisciplinary approach to improve the quality of life of Elderly population and Divyangjan and in making them self sufficient are considered for financial assistance under this programme.
- Latest Tools and Devices to tackle Covid-19:
- It has been developed by Rajalakshmi Engineering College, Chennai. It aims to create awareness and impart health and hygiene related information along with education and entertainment through tablets and mobiles.
- It is expected to overcome loneliness of the persons with intellectual disabilities, due to Covid-19 pandemic.
- Wearable sensor device:
- It is a band which has been developed by PSG College of Technology, Coimbatore to remotely monitor the activities of Elderly and Divyangjan staying alone or those who happen to be under quarantine or isolation wards.
- The device will help the elderly to get outcomes regarding the improvement in muscle strength, flexibility and endurance without physical interventions from doctors and physiotherapists.