- 13 May 2020
- 2 min read
Why in News
Recently, the Kerala State Coir Corporation announced that it will launch ‘Covid Mat’ (disinfecting floor mat).
- This is an attempt to prevent pathogens from entering houses, offices, shops, and institutions via feet/footwears.
- The mat will sanitise the feet to prevent the spread of Covid-19 virus.
- Two types of Covid Mat will be launched — one for households and other for institutions.
- The Sree Chitra Tirunal Institute for Medical Sciences and Technology (Kerala) is involved in testing the disinfectant to ensure that it would not create any skin problems and other issues.
- The concept is to put fibre mat/BC20 mat in a holding tray made of rubber or plastic. The disinfectant will be poured over the mat until saturated.
- When a person, barefoot or wearing shoes, steps on the mat, the disinfectant will sanitise it.
- The water and disinfectant will have to be replaced every three days.
- BC20 mat: These are the Bio Combination mats i.e. made through biological/chemical substances.
- The new product is set to give a boost to the coir industry reeling under the impact of Covid-19.
- The commercial production of COVID mats will generate sufficient jobs for weavers.