Call for Applications for AIC and AICC: NITI Aayog
- 04 Aug 2022
- 3 min read
Why in News?
Recently, Atal Innovation Mission (AIM), NITI Aayog launched Call for Applications for its two leading programs Atal Incubation Centre (AIC) and Atal Community Innovation Centre (ACIC).
What is the Call for Applications?
- The call for applications is a step to expand the current ecosystem of incubators and to provide them with access to global benchmarks and best practices.
- Both the programs envision creating and supporting the innovative ecosystem in the country by establishing world-class institutions which shall help budding entrepreneurs of the country.
- These AICs and ACICs will play a pivotal role in enriching the start-up and entrepreneurship ecosystem of India and echo the anthem of Atmanirbhar Bharat.
What is Atal Incubation Centre?
- AIC is an initiative of the AIM, NITI Aayog to foster innovation and entrepreneurial spirit while creating a supportive ecosystem for start-ups and entrepreneurs in India.
- Each AIC is supported with a grant of up to INR 10 crores over a period of 5 years.
- Since 2016, AIM has established 68 Atal Incubation Centres across 18 states and 3 UTs which have supported more than 2700 startups.
What is Atal Community Innovation Centre?
- ACIC is envisaged to serve the unserved/underserved areas of the country with respect to the start-up and innovation ecosystem.
- Each ACIC is supported with a grant of up to INR 2.5 crores over a period of 5 years.
- AIM has established 14 Atal Community Innovation Centres across the country.
What is Atal Innovation Mission?
- AIM is Government of India’s flagship initiative to promote a culture of innovation and entrepreneurship in the country.
- Its objective is to develop new programmes and policies for fostering innovation in different sectors of the economy, provide platform and collaboration opportunities for different stakeholders, create awareness and create an umbrella structure to oversee the innovation ecosystem of the country.
- Major Initiatives:
- Atal Tinkering Labs: Creating problem solving mindset across schools in India.
- Atal New India Challenges: Fostering product innovations and aligning them to the needs of various sectors/ministries.
- Mentor India Campaign: A national mentor network in collaboration with the public sector, corporates and institutions, to support all the initiatives of the mission.
- Atal Research and Innovation for Small Enterprises (ARISE): To stimulate innovation and research in the MSME industry.