Augmenting Nature by Green Affordable New-habitat
- 10 Sep 2019
- 2 min read
Recently, an international conference on Augmenting Nature by Green Affordable New-habitat (ANGAN ) commenced in New Delhi.
- The conference focuses primarily on achieving Energy Efficiency in the building sector.
- It is being organized by the Bureau of Energy Efficiency (BEE), Ministry of Power in collaboration with GIZ under the Indo German Technical Cooperation initiative.
- Experts and policymakers from around 16 countries are participating in this event.
- The conference aims to identify economically viable alternatives and technologies in the field of design and construction of energy-efficient commercial and residential buildings.
- It is estimated that an investment of Rs. 2000 billion in Building energy efficiency activities would lead to a cumulative savings of 388 billion units of electricity for the next ten years.
- Apart from energy savings, the emphasis will also be given to other resources like water and other materials that can be saved in the building sector.
- In India, buildings have become an important component of our integrated energy policy. The formidable challenges this sector poses during policy formulation includes:
- Providing adequate energy of desired quality to the consumers,
- Reasonable costs to the consumers,
- Improved efficiency for the suppliers, etc.
Bureau of Energy Efficiency (BEE)
- It is a statutory body under the Ministry of Power.
- BEE assists in developing policies and strategies with the primary objective of reducing the energy inefficiency of the Indian economy.
- BEE in 2007 launched the Energy Conservation Building Code (ECBC) to set energy efficiency standards for the design and construction of buildings, as a first step towards promoting energy efficiency in the building sector.
Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ)
- It is a German development agency.
- The thematic areas of GIZ in India are:
- Renewable Energy & energy efficiency
- Environment, Climate Change, and Biodiversity
- Sustainable Urban and Industrial Development
- Sustainable Economic Development