Atmanirbhar Corner in Indian Missions
- 10 Sep 2021
- 2 min read
Why in News
Tribal Cooperative Marketing Development Federation of India (TRIFED) in collaboration with the Ministry of External Affairs will set up an Atmanirbhar Bharat corner in 100 Indian Missions/ Embassies across the world.
- The first Atmanirbhar Bharat corner was inaugurated at the Indian Embassy in Bangkok, Thailand, on Independence Day.
- TRIFED is a national-level apex organization functioning under the administrative control of the Ministry of Tribal Affairs. It is involved in schemes such as Van Dhan Programme, MSP for MFP and TRIFOOD.
- Atmanirbhar Bharat Corner:
- The corner will be an exclusive space to promote GI (Geographical Indication) tagged tribal art and craft products besides natural and organic products.
- Geographical Indication:
- The Geographical Indication, which has been recognized by the World Trade Organization (WTO), is used to denote the geographical territory from where a product, be it an agricultural produce, natural product or manufactured, and also conveys assurance of qualities or attributes that are unique to that specific geographic region.
- India became a signatory to this convention, when, as a member of the WTO, it enacted the Geographical Indications (Registration and Protection Act), 1999, which came into effect from September 2003.
- This Act is administered by the Controller General of Patents, Designs, and Trademarks, who is also the Registrar of Geographical Indications.
- The Geographical Indications Registry for India is located in Chennai.
- The registration of a geographical indication is valid for a period of 10 years. It can be renewed from time to time for a further period of 10 years each.
- Other Related Initiatives: Aadi Mahotsav, Go Tribal campaign, TRIBES India, etc.