- 10 Jun 2023
- 5 min read
Why in News?
The United States and the United Kingdom have announced the Atlantic Declaration for a Twenty-First Century U.S.-UK Economic Partnership.
- This declaration aims to adapt, reinforce, and reimagine the longstanding alliance between the two nations to effectively address the challenges of the current era.
- With this new declaration, both nations seek to strengthen their collaboration in defence, security, science, technology, and economic domains.
What are the Major Highlights of the Atlantic Declaration?
- The Atlantic Declaration is focused on building a resilient, diversified, and secure supply chain, reducing strategic dependencies.
- The partnership aims to leverage the energy transition and technological breakthroughs to drive shared growth, create employment opportunities, and uplift communities.
- Atlantic Declaration Action Plan (ADAPT):
- The ADAPT sets forth a comprehensive strategy to enhance economic growth, competitiveness, and resilience while prioritising workers, businesses, climate, and national security.
- The plan encompasses five key pillars and involves regular high-level meetings to drive progress and increase ambition over time.
- Five Pillars:
- Leadership in Critical and Emerging Technologies: Sharing best practices in areas such as artificial intelligence, quantum computing, biotechnology, and advanced manufacturing.
- Cooperation on Economic Security and Technology Protection: This will include sharing information and best practices on cybersecurity, supply chain resilience, and technology governance.
- Partnering on an Inclusive and Responsible Digital Transformation: Collaborating on digital skills training and workforce development to ensure the readiness of individuals for the digital economy.
- Building the Clean Energy Economy of the Future.
- Strengthening Alliance across Defense, Health Security, and Space.
What are the Major Pillars of UK-US Partnership?
- Historical Significance of the U.S.-UK Partnership: The partnership between the US and the UK has played a pivotal role in leading on global issues.
- The signing of the Atlantic Charter in 1941 laid the foundation for a rules-based international order.
- The New Atlantic Charter signed in 2021 reaffirmed the commitment to shared values and refreshed the vision of the partnership.
- Political Affairs: The two countries are also close allies in NATO and other multilateral organisations such as the UN, the G7 and the G20.
- Economic Ties: The United States is the largest source of direct investment in the United Kingdom, and the United Kingdom is also the single largest investor in the United States.
- Security and Defense Cooperation: The United States and the United Kingdom have a long history of joint military operations and intelligence sharing, dating back to World War I and World War II.
- The two countries are part of the Five Eyes intelligence alliance, along with Australia, Canada, and New Zealand.
- Significant steps have been taken to implement AUKUS, including supporting Australia's acquisition of conventionally armed, nuclear-powered submarines.