ASMI:The Machine Pistol
- 15 Jan 2021
- 2 min read
Why in News
India’s first indigenous 9mm Machine Pistol has been jointly developed by Infantry School, Mhow and DRDO’s Armament Research & Development Establishment (ARDE), Pune.
- Machine pistols are primarily self-loading versions of pistols which are either fully automatic or can also fire bursts of bullets.
- The Pistol is named “Asmi” meaning “Pride”, “Self-Respect" & “Hard Work”.
- Features of Asmi:
- The Machine Pistol fires the in-service 9mm ammunition.
- With an overall empty weight of less than 2 Kg, it features an 8-inch barrel and 33 rounds high capacity magazine.
- It has an upper receiver made from Aircraft grade Aluminium and lower receiver from Carbon Fibre.
- 3D Printing process has been used in designing and prototyping of various parts including trigger components made by metal 3D printing.
- The weapon has huge potential in Armed forces as personal weapon for heavy weapon detachments, commanders, tank, aircraft crews, counter insurgency and counter terrorism operations etc.
- Cost Effective:
- The Machine Pistol is likely to have production cost under Rs. 50000 each and has potential for exports.