ASEAN Defence Ministers’ Meeting-Plus
- 19 Nov 2019
- 1 min read
Why in News
The 6th ASEAN Defence Ministers’ Meeting-Plus (ADMM-Plus) is to be held in Bangkok on 20th November 2019.
- The ADMM-Plus is a platform for ASEAN (The Association of Southeast Asian Nations) and it’s eight Dialogue Partners to strengthen security and defence cooperation for peace, stability, and development in the region.
- The ADMM-Plus countries include ten ASEAN Member State and eight Plus countries, namely Australia, China, India, Japan, New Zealand, ROK, Russian Federation, and the United States.
- It aims to promote mutual trust and confidence between defence establishments through greater dialogue and transparency.
- The first ADMM-Plus was convened at Ha Noi, Vietnam in 2010.
- 2nd ASEAN Defence Ministers’ Meeting (ADMM) in 2007 at Singapore adopted a resolution to establish the ADMM-Plus
- The chairmanship of the ADMM-Plus follows the chairmanship of the ADMM.
- Currently, the ADMM and ADMM Plus is chaired by Thailand
- It has five areas of practical cooperation, namely maritime security, counter-terrorism, humanitarian assistance and disaster relief, peacekeeping operations and military medicine.