Amendments to the J&K Order
- 04 Apr 2020
- 2 min read
Why in News
The Ministry of Home Affairs has amended the Jammu and Kashmir Reorganisation (Adaptation of State Laws) Order-2020.
- The Order was issued by the Ministry on 31st March, 2020.
- Protection to domiciles to “any post” in the government including senior level positions in Group A and Group B category. This reserves all jobs in the Union Territory for only its domiciles.
- Earlier the protection to domiciles was provided only in Group D and entry level non-gazetted government posts. This opened all other government posts to anyone from the rest of the country.
- The amended order also removed the clause that any person fulfilling the criteria of domicile eligibility will “deemed to be” a domicile. The power to issue domicile certificates has been given to “tahsildar”.
Criteria for Domiciles in J&K
- Someone who has resided for a period of 15 years in the UT of J&K, or
- Someone who has studied for a period of seven years and appeared in Class 10th/12th examination in an educational institution located in the UT of J&K, or
- Someone who is registered as a migrant by the Relief and Rehabilitation Commissioner (Migrants).
- Children of Central government officials, All India Services, PSUs, autonomous body of Centre, Public Sector Banks, officials of statutory bodies, Central Universities, recognised research institutes of Centre who shall have served in J&K.
- Children of such residents of J&K who reside outside J&K in connection with their employment or business or other professional or vocational reasons but their parents fulfil any of the conditions provided.