Important Facts For Prelims
44th Chess Olympiad
- 21 Jun 2022
- 1 min read
Why in News?
The 44th Chess Olympiad will be held in Chennai in 2022.
- The prestigious competition, which has been organized since 1927, is being hosted in India for the first time and in Asia after 30 years.
- With 189 countries participating, this will be the largest participation in any Chess Olympiad.
What is FIDE?
- The International Chess Federation (FIDE) is the governing body of the sport of chess, and it regulates all international chess competitions.
- It's constituted as a non-governmental institution.
- It was recognized by the International Olympic Committee as a Global Sporting Organization in 1999.
- FIDE currently has its headquarters in Lausanne (Switzerland), but it was initially founded in 1924 in Paris under the motto “Gens Una Sumus” (Latin for “We are one Family”).
- It was one of the very first International Sports Federations, alongside the governing bodies of the sports of Football, Cricket, Swimming, and Auto Racing. It is now one of the largest, encompassing 199 countries as affiliate members, in the form of National Chess Federations.