Why In News?
- On September 28, 2022, the Government of India has appointed Lieutenant General Anil Chauhan (Retd), a native of Pauri district of Uttarakhand, as the next (second) Chief of Defense Staff (CDS) of the country.
- According to the information given by the Ministry of Defense, Anil Chauhan will also serve as Secretary of the Department of Military Affairs of the Government of India till the date of his joining and further orders.
- In a career spanning over 40 years, Lt Gen Anil Chauhan has held several command, staff and supporting positions and has vast experience in counter-insurgency operations in Jammu and Kashmir and North-East India.
- Significantly, after the death of former CDS General Bipin Rawat in a helicopter crash, this was the largest military post in the country for 9 months, whose responsibility has now been entrusted to retired Lieutenant General Anil Chauhan.
- Born on May 18, 1961, Lieutenant General Anil Chauhan was commissioned into the 11 Gorkha Rifles of the Indian Army in 1981. He is an alumnus of National Defense Academy, Khadakwasla and Indian Military Academy, Dehradun.
- In the rank of Major General, he commanded an infantry division in the important Baramulla sector in the Northern Command. Later as Lieutenant General, he commanded a Corps in the North-East and became the General Officer Commanding-in-Chief of the Eastern Command from September 2019 and took over till his retirement from service in May 2021.
- Apart from these command appointments, he also held important staff appointments including the charge of Director General, Military Operations. Prior to this he also served as the United Nations Mission in Angola. He retired from the Indian Army on May 31, 2021. Even after retiring from the Army, he continued to contribute to national security and strategic affairs.
- For distinguished and distinguished service in the Army, Lieutenant General Anil Chauhan (Retd) has been awarded Param Vishisht Seva Medal, Uttam Yudh Seva Medal, Aati Vishisht Seva Medal, Sena Medal and Vishisht Seva Medal.
Switch to Hindi