Star marking (1-5) indicates the importance of topic
Why in News
- On September 27, 2021, Uttar Pradesh Sugar Industry Minister Suresh Rana said in a press conference that Uttar Pradesh will start ethanol production directly from sugarcane from the next sugarcane crushing season starting from October 2021.
- Ethanol to be used for blending with petrol will be produced at PSU Pipraich Chini Mill, Gorakhpur and Balrampur Chini Mill.
- It is worth mentioning that the state government decided to make ethanol directly from sugarcane in October 2020 and for this a pilot project was started at Pipraich sugar mill.
- Uttar Pradesh is the top producer of ethanol in India.
- It has 53 ethanol producing distilleries and has an annual installed capacity of 158.44 crore liters.
- Uttar Pradesh produced 42.70 crore liters of ethanol in the financial year 2016-17, which increased to 99.31 crore liters in 2020-21.
- There are 72 distilleries in Uttar Pradesh, of which 25 are standalone and 47 are attached to sugar mills.
- He said that due to an increase in the State Advisory Price of sugarcane for the next crushing season 2021-22, farmers would get an additional benefit of more than Rs 4,000 crore.
- Minister Rana said that against the demand of Rs 33,014 crore, sugar mills have so far paid Rs 28,015 crore to farmers for the 2020-21 season. From 2017 to 2021 (September 21), Rs 1.44 lakh crore has been paid to farmers.
- He further said that till 2016-17, three varieties of sugarcane were cultivated, where the share of early high yielding varieties was only 52%, which has now increased to 98%. Sugarcane productivity in the state was 66 MT per hectare in 2016-17, which increased to 81.05 MT per hectare in 2020-21.
- He also said that during the pandemic, the operations of sugar mills were not disrupted and Uttar Pradesh remained on top in the field of sugarcane, sugar production and ethanol production.
Switch to Hindi