Why in News
- On January 25, 2022, on the eve of the 73rd Republic Day, the President announced 128 Padma Awards for the year 2022. 14 persons from Uttar Pradesh are included in the list of these awards.
- Padma award is the highest civilian honor of the country. It is provided in three categories. These three categories include Padma Vibhushan, Padma Bhushan and Padma Shri.
- 'Padma Vibhushan' for exceptional and distinguished service, 'Padma Bhushan' for distinguished service of high order and 'Padma Shri' for distinguished service in any field.
- These awards are given in various disciplines/fields, viz., arts, social work, public affairs, science and engineering, trade and industry, medicine, literature and education, sports, civil service, etc.
- These awards are announced by the President every year on the occasion of 'Republic Day' and usually in March/April, these awards are given in formal functions held at Rashtrapati Bhavan.
- This year the President has approved the conferment of 128 Padma Awards, including 2 Jodi Awards (the award given to a pair counts as one award). The list includes 4 Padma Vibhushan, 17 Padma Bhushan and 107 Padma Shri awards.
- Among the recipients of Padma awards, 34 are women and 10 persons in this list fall under Foreign/NRI/PIO/OCI category and 13 persons have been given the award posthumously.
- The following persons from Uttar Pradesh are included in the list of Padma Awards announced for the year 2022-
- Radheshyam Khemka (posthumously) and Kalyan Singh (posthumously) have been selected for the Padma Vibhushan, India's second highest civilian honor in the fields of literature and education and public affairs, respectively.
- Rashid Khan has been selected for 'Padma Bhushan' for his outstanding contribution in the field of arts and Vashisht Tripathi in the field of literature and education.
- Similarly Ms. Kamalini Asthana and Ms. Nalini Asthana (Arts), Sheeshram (Arts), Seth Pal Singh (Agriculture), Ms. Vidya Vindu Singh (Literature and Education), Sivananda (Yoga), Ajay Kumar Sonkar (Science and Engineering), Ms. Ajita Srivastava (Arts), Dr Kamalakar Tripathi (Medicine) and Shivnath Mishra (Arts) have been selected for the Padma Shri award.
Why in News
- On the occasion of Republic Day on 26 January 2022, a total of 939 policemen of the country were awarded gallantry medals/seva medals, including 79 policemen from Uttar Pradesh.
- Every year on the occasion of Republic Day, the gallantry award is awarded to the brave soldiers who made supreme sacrifice by displaying indomitable courage in the security of the country.
- The Police Division of the Ministry of Home Affairs deals with matters relating to meritorious/distinguished service and President's Police Medal awards for gallantry etc.
- The policemen of Uttar Pradesh who received gallantry medal for the year 2022 are-
- The Police Medal for Gallantry (PMG) was awarded to Prashant Kumar, ADG Law and Order, Uttar Pradesh.
- President's Police Medal for distinguished service was given to five policemen of Uttar Pradesh - Vijay Prakash, Shripati Mishra, Sushil Pandey, Mishri Lal Shukla and Krishna Chandra Mishra.
- Similarly, 73 policemen of the state were awarded Police Medals for meritorious service.
Switch to Hindi