Padma Vibhushan to Mulayam Singh Yadav while even other Personalities of the State were Selected for Padma Shri
Why In News?
On January 25, 2023, the President announced the country's highest civilian awards 'Padma Awards' for the year 2023 on the eve of Republic Day. Of these, Mulayam Singh Yadav from Uttar Pradesh has been selected for the Padma Vibhushan, while seven other personalities from the state have been selected for the Padma Shri award.
- The President has approved the conferment of 106 Padma Awards including three dual cases (in a dual case, the award is counted as one) for the year 2023.
- The list includes 6 Padma Vibhushan, 9 Padma Bhushan and 91 Padma Shri awardees. The list of awardees includes 19 women and 2 persons from the category of Foreigners/NRI/PIO/OCI and 7 posthumous awardees.
- Samajwadi Party founder and former Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Mulayam Singh Yadav has been posthumously selected for the Padma Vibhushan award for exceptional and distinguished service in civil affairs.
- The seven personalities from Uttar Pradesh selected for the Padma Shri award are Radha Charan Gupta, Dilshad Hussain, Arvind Kumar, Manoranjan Sahu, Ritwik Sanyal, Vishwanath Prasad Tiwari and Uma Shankar Pandey.
- Radha Charan Gupta and Vishwanath Prasad Tiwari have been selected for Padma Shri award for distinguished service in the field of literature and education, Dilshad Hussain and Ritwik Sanyal in the field of art, Arvind Kumar in the field of science and engineering, Manoranjan Sahu in the field of medicine and Uma Shankar Pandey for distinguished service in the field of social work.
- Significantly, Padma awards are among the highest civilian awards of the country. The Padma awards are given in three categories- Padma Vibhushan, Padma Bhushan and Padma Shri. The awards are announced on Republic Day every year.
- The awards, social work public affairs science and engineering are given in the fields of various disciplines trade and industry, medicine, literature and education, sports, civil service etc/activities such as art.
- 'Padma Vibhushan' is awarded for exceptional and distinguished service, 'Padma Bhushan' for distinguished service of high order and 'Padma Shri' for distinguished service in any field.
- These awards are presented by the President of India in ceremonial ceremonies which are usually held at Rashtrapati Bhavan around March/April every year.
Switch to Hindi