Why in News?
- Recently, the Uttarakhand High Court has partially allowed a proposal to cut thousands of trees to widen the road connecting Sahastradhara, an important tourist destination in Uttarakhand.
- A division bench of acting Chief Justice Sanjay Kumar Mishra and Justice Ramesh Chandra Khulbe approved the proposal on the condition that these precious trees would be replanted and taken care of by the state.
- Sahastradhara, which literally means 'Thousand Fold Spring', is a famous tourist destination situated at a distance of 16 kms from Dehradun on the Baldi River.
- Sahastradhara is a natural sulphur water spring, which has various medicinal properties, such as treatment of skin diseases and stomach disorders is possible by using its water.
- The waters of the Sahastradhara form a projected mountain range from limestone residues. Here the cave situated in a temple on the hill is known as Drona Cave, which has many miniature Shivalingas carved out of the rock.
Switch to Hindi