Why in News?
- On August 12, 2022, Nicole Sewad, head of One Trillion Trees on behalf of the World Economic Forum, appreciated the work being done by the Chhattisgarh government in the field of environmental protection, increasing tree cover and forest cover.
- Significantly, the World Economic Forum is working on the One Trillion Tree Plan globally. Under this scheme, the World Economic Forum is working in the field of environmental protection.
- Chhattisgarh Chief Minister Bhupesh Baghel along with Nikol Sewad, head of One Trillion Tree program, joined the discussion through video conferencing regarding how environmental protection is being further improved in Chhattisgarh. In this discussion Ritvika Bhattacharya and Bhairavi Jani, the directors of One Trillion Tree Program in India, informed the Chief Minister about the program.
- Nikol Sewad said that linking the forests of Chhattisgarh with the economy is an important step, which can promote economic activities along with environmental protection.
- In the discussion, Chief Minister Bhupesh Baghel said that in Chhattisgarh, work is being done to conserve forests and recharge groundwater sources in a scientific way, due to which the drains of Chhattisgarh have been recharged from 10 to 30 cm.
- The Chief Minister said that better work is being done in the field of minor forest produce in Chhattisgarh, if small industries are set up for them, then people living in rural areas will be greatly benefited and people will also be aware in the field of environmental protection.
- In Chhattisgarh, 42 per cent of the area is covered by forests and 31 per cent of the state's population is made up of tribals, who are mainly dependent on forests. To make them more prosperous, the Chhattisgarh government is distributing individual and community forest rights pattas.
- Suggesting to the World Economic Forum, the Chief Minister said that if we plant trees according to the season, then there will be more possibilities for the development of forests and this will happen only if they get enough water. The Chief Minister said that the Chhattisgarh government has done the same thing under the Narva scheme. Due to this, water has been recharged in the drains and due to sufficient quantity of water, the area of the forest is increasing.
Switch to Hindi