Why in News
- According to the latest data compiled by the Integrated Disease Surveillance Program (IDSP) on October 7, 2021, Ranchi is the only district in Jharkhand that currently has active cases of mucormycosis.
- According to IDSP data, in the last eight months, at least 18 of the state's 24 districts had witnessed a fungal infection with a fatality rate of 50 per cent and claimed 31 lives.
- Out of 168 cases of mucormycosis reported in the state so far, 66 cases have been found in Ranchi and 11 out of 31 deaths have occurred.
- As per records, there were only three patients of mucormycosis (commonly known as black fungus) in Jharkhand on October 7, and all three of them are undergoing treatment in Ranchi.
- At the same time, 25 cases of mucormycosis have been reported in East Singhbhum, which is second among the districts of the state, while 11 people were found infected with mucormycosis in Hazaribagh. In other affected districts, 9 people were found infected in Bokaro, 8 each in Dhanbad and Giridih, 7 in Ramgarh and 6 in Palamu.
- Of the 31 deaths in the state, 11 were in Ranchi, five in East Singhbhum, three in Ramgarh, two each in Dhanbad and Godda and one each in Bokaro, Chatra, Deoghar, Dumka, Garhwa, Giridih, Hazaribagh and Koderma.
- Mucormycosis is a rare infection caused by exposure to mucor mold found in soil, plants, manure and rotting fruits and vegetables. Jharkhand notified mucormycosis as an epidemic earlier this year following directions from the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare.
Why in News
- On October 7, 2021, Central Coalfields Limited (CCL) dedicated 3 PSA Oxygen Plants installed at Central Hospital Gandhinagar, Central Hospital Ramgarh and CHC Tandwa to the public.
- It is noteworthy that 35 PSA oxygen plants in 35 states and union territories across the country were dedicated to the nation by Prime Minister Narendra Modi through virtual medium from AIIMS Rishikesh.
- CCL has also signed an MoU with Bokaro District Administration for construction of two 200 LPM PSA plants at COVID Hospital, Bokaro.
- Along with this 2 PSA Oxygen Plants are under construction at CHC Ormanjhi and CHC Sonahatu.
- The plant at Gandhinagar Hospital was inaugurated by Rajya Sabha MP Deepak Prakash, while Mandu MLA Jai Prakash Bhai Patel inaugurated the Oxygen Plant at Central Hospital, Ramgarh.
- As per the company's CSR policy, three plants are being set up at Tandwa, Ormanjhi and Sonahatu with a capacity of 200 LPM. The plants at Central Hospitals- Gandhinagar and Ramgarh have a capacity of 1,000 LPM.
Switch to Hindi