Why in News
- A two day International Conference on Progress in Chemistry and Biology of Carbohydrates (Carbo XXXV) was organized in Virtual Mode at Forest Research Institute (FRI), Dehradun as part of Azadi Ka Amrit Mahotsav on December 4-5, 2021.
- The conference was inaugurated by AS Rawat, Director General, Indian Council of Forestry Research and Education.
- The conference was attended by more than 250 participants from academic institutions from India, USA, Germany, UK, Netherlands and Portugal including scientists from FRI, CSIR, IIT, IISER laboratories.
- Speaking on the occasion, AS Rawat emphasized on the role of carbohydrates in various aspects of life including food and medicine and their industrial importance.
- Rawat also stressed on developing new technologies for value-added use of weeds so as to protect forests and create a source of livelihood for the people.
- Two technical sessions were held on the first day of the program with 10 invited lectures and four short lectures by speakers from India, USA, Germany, Netherlands and Portugal.
Switch to Hindi