Why in News
- On December 4, 2021, Prime Minister Narendra Modi laid the foundation stone of the Delhi-Dehradun Economic Corridor (Eastern Peripheral Expressway Junction to Dehradun), Child Friendly City Project Dehradun, in Dehradun, Uttarakhand. Also inaugurated the state-of-the-art Perfume and Fragrance Laboratory (Centre for Aromatic Plants) at Doon.
- The total length of the Delhi-Dehradun Expressway will be 175 km. The highway will be built at a cost of about Rs 8,600 crore. The highway is being built to encourage economic activities and encourage investment.
- The travel time between Delhi-Dehradun by road will be reduced from eight hours to about two-and-a-half hours.
- It will be Asia's largest 12 km wildlife elevated corridor for uninterrupted movement of wildlife.
- This expressway will have more than 750 rain water harvesting and water recharge points at an interval of 500 meters. It will have six interchanges, four flyovers, six major bridges, 10 minor and two ROries and 10 VUPs.
Switch to Hindi