Why In News?
- On August 4, 2022, Chhattisgarh Chief Minister Bhupesh Baghel released the book 'Bastar Tiger' based on the life of martyr late Mahendra Karma on the eve of his birth anniversary at his residence office.
- Written by authors Kunal Shukla and Preeti Upadhyay, this book shares the untold aspects of the life of martyr Mahendra Karma, popularly known as Bastar Tiger.
- Through this book, martyr Mahendra Karma's thinking towards the development of tribals and his deep faith in democratic values has been placed before the readers.
- Martyr Mahendra Karma was inspired by the ideas of Gandhi-Nehru. He tried for peace in Bastar throughout his life. In the book, the thoughts about the Salwa Judum of Shaheed Mahendra Karma have been presented to the readers for the first time.
- Significantly, Mahendra Karma was the leader of Chhattisgarh Congress. He was the Leader of the Opposition in the Chhattisgarh Legislative Assembly from 2004 to 2008. In 2005, he played an important role in organizing the Salwa Judum movement against Naxalites in Chhattisgarh. He was the Minister of Industries and Commerce in the Ajit Jogi government cabinet since the formation of the state.
- On May 5, 2013, 28 Congress leaders including Mahendra Karma, then Congress President Nand Kumar Patel, MLA Uday Mudaliar were attacked and killed by Naxalites in Darbha Valley while returning from the Parivartan rally organized by the Congress in Sukma. Former Union Minister Vidyacharan Shukla, who was seriously injured in the attack, died during treatment.
Why In News?
- According to the information given by the Public Relations Department of Chhattisgarh on August 4, 2022, on the occasion of World Tribal Day, on August 7 and 8, the traditional game of specially protected tribes 'Madai' will be organized at Swami Vivekananda Stadium Kota in the capital Raipur.
- Sports games traditionally played by various tribal communities in Madai, such as archery, slingshot, matka race, gilli-danda, gedi-run, bumblebee, fugadi (girls' category), billa (girls' category), kabaddi, rope pulling, Competitions like Saktal (Pithul), Heavy Race, Bora-Run, Sui-Dhaaga Run (Girls Category), Mudi Lukavan (Goti Lukavan), Three Tangdi Race and Sailing (For Adults) etc. will be organized.
- The competition, organized by the Department of Development of Primitive Castes and Scheduled Castes, will have two categories for boys and girls, the age group of 14 to 18 years and the traditionally played sports competitions for women and men of 18 years and above under the open competition.
- At the district level, entry will be invited from sports wise specially protected tribal communities from all the development blocks falling under the agency area.
- It is noteworthy that sports competitions were organized in the districts from 22 to 28 July. After selection from district level, around 700 participants from 17 districts will participate in this state level event.
Switch to Hindi