Why In News?
- According to the information given by the Chhattisgarh Public Relations Department on August 3, 2022, under the ''Mukhya Mantri Suposhan Abhiyan' started for the eradication of malnutrition in Chhattisgarh, in the last three years, about two lakh 11 thousand children of the state have come out of the cycle of malnutrition. .
- It is worth mentioning that at the time of the launch of this campaign in the year 2019, the number of malnourished children in the state was 4 lakh 33 thousand. Thus, a 48 percent reduction in the number of malnourished children is a remarkable achievement.
- Along with this, due to regular hot food and nutritious food under the scheme, about 85 thousand women of the state have also become anemia free.
- It is noteworthy that according to the data of National Family Survey-4 released in the year 2015-16, 37.7 percent children under 5 years of age in the state were suffering from malnutrition and 47 percent women between 15 and 49 years were suffering from anemia. In the year 2018, this figure increased to 40 percent. Thus, from 2016 to 2018, malnutrition increased by 2.3 percent instead of decreasing.
- Most of the malnourished children were from tribal and remote forest areas. Taking this as a challenge, the state government started 'Mukhya Mantri Suposhan Abhiyan' from October 2, 2019. The happy result of Chief Minister's nutrition campaign and determined efforts has been that the rate of malnutrition has come down continuously.
- According to the National Family Health Survey-5's report released in 2020-21, if we look at the data of children's weight up to 5 years in the state, then the rate of malnutrition has come down by 6.4 percent to 31.3 percent. This rate is less than the national rate of malnutrition at 32.1%.
- If we look at the statistics of weight festival, in the year 2019, malnutrition in Chhattisgarh was 23.37 percent, which has come down to only 19.86 percent in the year 2021. Thus the rate of malnutrition has decreased by 3.51 percent in two years.
- Around 22 lakh children were weighed in the weight festival held in July 2021. During this, the level of malnutrition was assessed in a transparent manner. The services of an external agency were taken for data quality testing and data validation. Similarly, in the year 2022 also, the weight festival is being celebrated in the state from August 1 to August 13. Based on its data, the present malnutrition rate in the state will be assessed.
- It is noteworthy that on the initiative of Chief Minister Bhupesh Baghel, a state-wide campaign is being run for the eradication of malnutrition through Mukhya Mantri Suposhan Yojana. Keeping the health and nutrition of women and children in priority order, the Chief Minister has given permission to use the amount of DMF, CSR and other items in the state for this.
- Under the scheme, hot meals are being provided to malnourished women, pregnant and lactating mothers along with children. An attempt has been made to overcome the deficiency of vitamins and minerals in the daily diet of the people by giving iron and vitamin-rich fortified rice and jaggery in the ration. Along with this, arrangements have also been made to provide quality nutritious ready-to-eat and nutritious food based on local availability.
- Women and children are being given fruits, vegetables in the form of soya and groundnut Chikki, nutritious laddus, biscuits of millets with eggs and delicious nutritious food. Due to this, the condition of malnutrition has improved by awakening the interest in food in children.
- Coordinated efforts have been made by integrating schemes with various departments to eradicate malnutrition in the state. Health facilities have been expanded through the establishment of Health and Wellness Centers, Primary and Sub Health Centers in rural areas along with Mukhya Mantri Haat Bazaar Clinic Yojna and Malaria Free Campaign, Dai-Didi Clinic Scheme. This has led to rapid improvement in the level of malnutrition along with the health of women and children.
Switch to Hindi