Why In News?
As per media reports dated December 5, 2023, it has been revealed that out of the MLAs emerging victorious in the Madhya Pradesh Assembly Elections-2023, 90 individuals possess a criminal record. Among them, 34 MLAs are facing charges related to serious criminal offences.
- Out of the total winners in Madhya Pradesh Assembly Elections-2023, 39 percent are criminals and 15 percent have serious crimes registered against them. 51 winners from BJP, 38 from Congress and one from Bharat Adivasi Party have declared criminal cases against themselves.
- In the year 2018, 94 MLAs had declared crimes and 47 had declared serious criminal cases against themselves. That means, out of the total winners, 41 percent were criminals and 20 percent were booked for serious crimes.
- According to the report prepared on the basis of affidavits submitted by the candidates to the Election Commission, there are 205 crorepatis among the winners and their average wealth is Rs 11.77 crore. The average assets of MLAs in 2018 were Rs 10.17 crore.
- The average assets of the 101 MLAs who were re-elected have increased by Rs 4.60 crore (37 percent) in five years.
- The three winners with the highest assets in Madhya Pradesh Assembly Elections 2023 are Chetanya Kashyap (Ratlam seat), Sanjay Pathak (Vijayraghavgarh) and Kamal Nath (Chhindwara).
- The three winners with the least assets in the Madhya Pradesh Assembly Elections-2023 are Kamleshwar Dodiyar (Sailana), Santosh Varkade (Sehora), Kanchan Mukesh Tanve (Khandwa).
Switch to Hindi