World Tourism Day
- 27 Sep 2019
- 1 min read
The United Nations World Tourism Organisation (UNWTO) has chosen India as the host country to observe World Tourism Day 2019.
- The theme for this World Tourism Day is ‘Tourism and Jobs: A better future for all’.
- It is celebrated every year on September 27 around the world.
- The purpose of World Tourism Day (WTD) is to foster awareness among the international community on the importance of tourism and its social, cultural, political and economic value.
- The event seeks to address global challenges outlined in the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) and highlight the contribution the tourism sector can make in reaching these goals.
United Nations World Tourism Organisation
- The World Tourism Organization (UNWTO) is the United Nations Specialised Agency responsible for the promotion of responsible, sustainable and universally accessible tourism.
- It was established in 1975 with headquarters at Madrid, Spain.
- UNWTO encourages the implementation of the Global Code of Ethics for Tourism, to maximize tourism’s socio-economic contribution while minimizing its possible negative impacts.