Important Facts For Prelims
US Cancels Red Flag
- 30 Mar 2020
- 1 min read
Why in News
Recently, the U.S. Air Force has cancelled the Phase-I of Red Flag due to the COVID-19 outbreak.
- It is a Pacific Air Forces-sponsored exercise meant to provide realistic training in a simulated combat environment over the Joint Pacific Alaska range complex.
- It is USA’s flagship multilateral air exercise.
- The Red Flag Alaska 20-1 was scheduled to be held in Alaska from 30th April to 15th May, 2020.
- It has been cancelled owing to the travel restrictions imposed by the U.S. Department of Defence.
- The Indian Air Force (IAF) was also to take part in the exercise with its Sukhoi Su-30 fighter jets.
- The IAF joined Red Flag for the first time in 2008 in Nevada.
- It has deployed Su-30MKI, Jaguar strike aircraft, the Il-78 tankers and the C-17 strategic airlift aircraft in the exercise.
- However, it had said it would not take part in every edition of the biennial exercise because of the high cost involved.