UAE Awards Highest Civilian Honour to the Prime Minister
- 19 Aug 2019
- 2 min read
The United Arab Emirates(UAE) has awarded ZAYED Medal, the highest civilian award to the Prime Minister of India for consolidating the long-standing friendship and joint strategic cooperation between the two nations.
- It can be noted that recently India was invited by the host UAE as the "Guest of Honour” to attend the 46th Session of the Council of Foreign Ministers of the Organisation of Islamic Cooperation (OIC) held in Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates (UAE).
- This was the first time that India was invited to any OIC meeting as a guest of honor.
- The Order of Zayed is awarded to the Head of Government/Head of State for their international relations with UAE.
- The order is in the name of Sheikh Zayed bin Sultan Al Nahyan, the founding father of the UAE.
- It consists of a collar cantered by a medallion bearing the name 'Zayed’.
- In the past, this award has been conferred to
- Russian President Vladimir Putin,
- Former US President George W Bush,
- Former French President Nicholas Sarkozy,
- German Chancellor Angela Merkel,
- Chinese President Xi Jinping
- UK's Queen Elizabeth II.