Tunnels in Jammu & Kashmir
- 27 Sep 2021
- 4 min read
Why in News
The Union Minister for Road Transport and Highways will lay the foundation stone of various National Highway (NH) Projects and will review and inspect Z-Morh and Zojila Tunnel in the Union Territory of Jammu & Kashmir.
- Shyama Prasad Mukherjee Tunnel: The Chenani-Nashri Tunnel renamed as Shyama Prasad Mukherjee Tunnel.
- It is not only India’s longest highway tunnel (9 km long) but also Asia’s longest bi-directional highway tunnel.
- It is located in the lower Himalayan mountain range, between Udhampur and Ramban in Jammu & Kashmir.
- Banihal Qazigund Tunnel: It is the 8.5 km road tunnel at elevation of 1,790 m in the Pir Panjal range in the union territory of Jammu and Kashmir connecting Banihal and Qazigund.
- Jawahar Tunnel: It is also called Banihal Tunnel or Banihal Pass. The length of the tunnel is 2.85 km.
- It is situated between Banihāl and Qazigund on NH 1A that has been renumbered NH 44.
- The tunnel facilitates round-the-year road connectivity between Srinagar and Jammu.
- Nandni Tunnels: These tunnels are the series of four highway tunnels built under Nandni wildlife sanctuary on Jammu-Srinagar National Highway in Udhampur district.
- At a combined length of 1.4 km, the tunnels have reduced the distance and travel time between Jammu and Srinagar.
- Pir Panjal Railway Tunnel: It is India’s longest transportation railway tunnel measuring 11.2 km long.
- The tunnel link, which is the only broad gauge mountain railway in India, stretches through the Pir Panjal mountain range between Quazigund and Baramulla.
- The tunnel section is a part of the 202km Udhampur – Srinagar – Baramulla rail link project undertaken by the Northern Railways.
- Z-Morh Tunnel: It is an under construction tunnel, 20 km away from the Zojila Pass, on Srinagar-Kargil-Leh highway.
- The 6.5 km long tunnel will connect Gagangir directly to Sonamarg in Kashmir.
- Zojila Tunnel: It is an under construction tunnel located to the north-east of Srinagar, on the Srinagar- Leh section of the NH 1.
- The 14.2 km road tunnel between Baltal and Minamarg.
- The Zojila Tunnel will be Asia’s longest road tunnel, to be built at an altitude of 11,578 m above sea level.
- It will ensure safer, all weather year round connectivity between Leh, Kargil and Srinagar.
- Nilgrar Tunnels:
- The Nilgrar-I is a twin tube tunnel of 433 m length each.
- The Nilgrar twin tunnel-II is of 1.95 Km length each.
- Nilgrar-I and Nilgrar-II tunnels are part of the 18 Km long approach road to Zojila west portal.
- Zojila tunnel will provide connectivity to Ladakh region Kargil, Drass and Leh.
- Chattergala Tunnel: It is an under construction road tunnel in Jammu and Kashmir.
- The tunnel will be 6.8 km long and will connect Kathua and Doda districts of Jammu and Kashmir via basohli-bani through Chattergala.