- 20 Feb 2020
- 1 min read
Tirur vettila has obtained a Geographical Indication (GI) tag.
- Tirur Vettila is a type of betel leaf which is grown in Tirur and nearby areas of Malappuram district of Kerala.
- Tirur Vettila is unique for its significantly high content of total chlorophyll and protein in fresh leaves.
- Tirur vettila possesses some special biochemical characters like unique flavour and aroma.
- Eugenol is the major essential oil in Tirur betel leaf contributing to its pungency.
- The leaves are nutritive and contain anticarcinogens, showing future opportunities in anticancer drugs.
- Betel vine was reported to have immunosuppressive activity and antimicrobial property.
- The Intellectual property rights (IPR) Cell of Kerala Agricultural University has received National IP Award, 2019 of Government of India its efforts in the facilitation of GI Registration.
Other GI Products from Kerala
- Kaipad rice, Pokkali rice, Wayanad Jeerakasala rice, Wayanad Gandhakasala rice, Vazhakulam pineapple, Marayoor jaggery, Central Travancore jaggery and Chengalikodan nendran.