Important Facts For Prelims
Switch To Hindi
Technical Education Quality Improvement Programme
- 01 Mar 2021
- 2 min read
Why in News
Government is planning to replace the Technical Education Quality Improvement Programme (TEQIP) with a new programme MERITE Project.
- About the Technical Education Quality Improvement Programme:
- It was started in 2002 by the Ministry of Human Resources and Development with the assistance of the World Bank and is being implemented in a phased manner.
- It aims to upscale the quality of technical education and enhance capacities of institutions.
- The Technical Education Quality Improvement Programme III (TEQIP-III) was started in 2017 and will be completed by 2021.
- It aims to develop technical education as a key component for improving the quality of Engineering Education.
- The Objective is to improve quality and equity in engineering institutions in focus states such as in low income states.
- About MERITE Project:
- The project has an objective to improve technical education like the TEQIP.
- However, the MERITE Project is still in the conceptual stage and has not yet received Cabinet approval.
Other Initiative to Improve Technical Education
- Margadarshan and Margadarshak (AICTE).
- Institutions of Eminence (IoE) scheme.
- Technical Education in Mother Tongue has been proposed by the National Education Policy (NEP).
- To achieve the objective that students may pursue the professional courses such as medicine, engineering, law, etc in their mother tongue.
- It suggests teaching in regional language till class 8 and enabling teaching the curriculum in a language which a student is comfortable in.
- Uchhatar Avishkar Yojana (UAY) schemes.