Important Facts For Prelims
Switch To Hindi
- 02 Mar 2023
- 2 min read
Why in News?
Recently, a function was held to commemorate the success of “SWAYATT”, an initiative to promote ‘Start-ups, Women and Youth Advantage Through e-Transactions'(SWAYATT) on Government E-Marketplace (GeM) in New Delhi.
What is SWAYATT Initiative?
- The initiative was launched in February 2019 under Ministry of Commerce and Industry.
- It brings together the key stakeholders within the Indian entrepreneurial ecosystem to Government e-Marketplace the national procurement portal.
- Progress So Far:
- Increased Business Opportunities: More than 8.5 lakh Micro and Small Enterprises (MSEs) have been registered on GeM portal who have been able to get business of over Rs. 1.87 lakh crore spread across 68 lakh+ orders.
- Empowerment of Women: More than 1.45 lakh women MSEs have fulfilled 7.32 lakh orders worth 15,922 Crore.
- Empowering SC/STs: Approximately 43000 SC/ ST MSEs have delivered 1.35 lakh+ orders worth 2,592 Crore on the GeM portal so far.
- Market to Farmers: 105 Farmer Producer Organisations (FPOs) can now sell more than 200 Agri products directly to the Government through GeM.
What is Government e-Marketplace?
- GeM is an Online Market platform was setup in 2016 to facilitate procurement of goods and services by the government ministries, departments, public sector undertakings (PSU) etc.
- It has been envisaged as National Procurement Portal of India.
- It has been developed by Directorate General of Supplies and Disposals (Ministry of Commerce and Industry) with technical support of National e-governance Division (Ministry of Electronic and Information Technology).
- It functions under Directorate General of Supplies and Disposals (DGS&D), Ministry of Commerce and Industry.
- GeM is a completely paperless, cashless and system driven e-market place that enables procurement of common use goods and services with minimal human interface.