Soul of Steel Challenge
- 14 Jan 2023
- 2 min read
Why in News?
A ‘Soul of Steel’ challenge was launched in Uttarakhand on 14 January which aims to test one’s high-altitude endurance.
- The general area of the expedition would be the Nanda Devi National Park.
What is the Soul of Steel Challenge?
- The challenge is an initiative of CLAW Global and is being supported by the Indian Army.
- The idea behind Soul of Steel is pooling of skill sets and creating a challenge that will unlock the human ability to survive, stabilise and thrive in high altitude areas.
- It is based on the lines of the ‘Ironman triathlon’ long-distance triathlon challenge in Europe, which tests an individual’s grit and endurance.
- Apart from life skill training and youth development, the challenges would globally promote adventure tourism in Uttarakhand.
What is CLAW Global?
- CLAW (Conquer Land Air Water) Global, is a team of Special Forces veterans and people with disabilities from different nationalities, religion, abilities etc., to project the power of self-belief and collective effort to create a powerful perception of ability and freedom.
- It was set up in January 2019 by Major Vivek Jacob, a para special forces officer who retired after 14 years of service after a combat skydive injury.
- CLAW introduced ‘Operation Blue Freedom’ – a movement to express the powerful spirit and ability of people with disabilities.
- Armed Forces Veterans Day is celebrated every year on January 14. On this day, in 1953, the First Indian Commander-in-Chief of the Indian Army, Field Marshal KM Cariappa formally retired from the Services.
- He led the Indian Forces to Victory in the 1947 war against Pakistan.
- The day was first observed in 2016.