Single Nodal Agency (SNA) Dashboard of PFMS
- 08 Jun 2022
- 5 min read
Why in News?
Recently, the Union Minister for Finance & Corporate Affairs launched the Single Nodal Agency (SNA) Dashboard of PFMS (Public Financial Management System).
- It was launched as a part of the Azadi ka Amrit Mahotsav (AKAM) celebrations by the Ministry of Finance.
- The Ministry of Finance is observing the ‘Iconic Week’ celebrations from 6th to 12th June 2022 to celebrate AKAM.
- Additionally, the training modules for the Department of Expenditure were launched as part of Mission Karmayogi.
What is Mission Karmayogi?
- It aims to prepare Indian civil servants for the future by making them more creative, constructive, imaginative, proactive, innovative, progressive, professional, energetic, transparent, and technology-enabled.
- Comprehensive reform of the capacity building apparatus at the individual, institutional and process levels for efficient public service delivery.
What is SNA Dashboard?
- It is a major reform initiated in 2021 with regards to the manner in which funds for Centrally Sponsored Schemes (CSS) are released, disbursed and monitored.
- This revised procedure, now referred to as the SNA model, requires each State to identify and designate a SNA for every scheme.
- All funds for that State in a particular scheme are now credited in this bank account, and all expenses by all other Implementing Agencies involved are affected from this account.
- Ensure Allocation of Funds:
- The SNA model ensures that allocation of funds to States for the CSS are made in a timely manner and after meeting various stipulations.
- Brought Greater Efficiency:
- Effective implementation of this Model has brought about greater efficiency in CSS fund utilization, tracking of funds, pragmatic and just-in-time release of funds to the States; ultimately all contributing to better Cash Management of the Government.
- Ensure Allocation of Funds:
- In order to give the stakeholders of the SNA model the necessary feedback and monitoring tools in the operation of the schemes.
- The Dashboard depicts releases made to different States by Ministries, further releases made by State Treasuries to the SNA accounts, expenditure reported by the agencies, interest paid by banks to SNA accounts etc. in intelligible, informative and visually appealing graphics.
What is PFMS?
- PFMS, earlier known as Central Plan Schemes Monitoring System (CPSMS), is a web-based online software application developed and implemented by the Office of Controller General of Accounts (CGA), Ministry of Finance.
- PFMS was initially started during 2009 as a Central Sector Scheme of Planning Commission with the objective of tracking funds released under all Plan schemes of the Government of India, and real time reporting of expenditure at all levels of Programme implementation.
- Subsequently in the year 2013, the scope was enlarged to cover direct payment to beneficiaries under both Plan and non-Plan Schemes.
- In 2017, the Government scrapped the distinction between plan and non-plan expenditure.
- To facilitate a sound Public Financial Management System for the Government of India (GoI) by establishing an efficient fund flow system as well as a payment cum accounting network.
- At present, the ambit of PFMS coverage includes Central Sector and Centrally Sponsored Schemes as well as other expenditures including the Finance Commission Grants.
- PFMS provides various stakeholders with a real time, reliable and meaningful management information system and an effective decision support system, as part of the Digital India initiative of GoI.
- PFMS is integrated with the core banking system in the country.