SCO Summit- 2019
- 15 Jun 2019
- 3 min read
The 19th annual Shanghai Cooperation Organisation (SCO) summit was held on 13-14 June 2019 in Bishkek, Kyrgyz Republic.
- The heads of the Member States reviewed the implementation of the results of the Qingdao Summit and the priority goals for SCO development in the context of current global political and economic processes.
- The Bishkek Declaration was adopted by the Member states.
Note: Another "Bishkek Declaration", adopted in 2013 by 12 countries (including India) is associated with conservation and protection of Snow Leopard.
Highlights of the SCO-2019 Bishkek Declaration
- The Member States resolutely condemn terrorism in all its forms and manifestations. They urge the international community to strengthen global cooperation in efforts against terrorism in line with the UN Charter and the principles of international law, without politicisation and double standards, while respecting the sovereignty and independence of all states.
- The declaration also pressed for consensus regarding the adoption of the Comprehensive Convention on International Terrorism.
- Ensure the earliest possible enactment of a protocol on security guarantees to the Central Asian Nuclear-Weapons-Free Zone Treaty for all signatory states.
- Honouring the Convention on the Prohibition of the Development, Production and Stockpiling of Bacteriological (Biological) and Toxin Weapons and their Destruction.
- Supported the work of the government and people of Afghanistan (with support from the international community) for restoring peace and ensuring the country's sustained development.
- There is no alternative to resolving the situation in Syria through dialogue, while ensuring Syria's sovereignty, independence and territorial integrity.
- Expanding and deepening cooperation in trade, finance, investment, transport, energy, agriculture, innovation, cutting-edge technology, etc.
- Serious attention will be given to increasing the share of national currencies in mutual financial transactions and settlements.
- The SCO Member States will promote exchange of experience and further development of international cooperation in countering corruption.
- Promote the development of technology parks and business incubators in the SCO region for the purpose of improving the regional business climate and supporting youth startup projects, including the International Youth Business Incubator of SCO countries within the framework of the SCO Youth Council.
- Keeping outer space free from weapons and importance of peaceful use of outer space.
- Narcotic Drug Threat
- Need to address the illegal cultivation, production, circulation, sales and dissemination of narcotic drugs, psychotropic substances and precursors.
- Russia will be next to assume the presidency of the SCO. In 2020, the Russian Federation will host a regular SCO Heads of State Council Meeting.