Scheme for Promotion of Academic and Research Collaboration (SPARC)
- 26 Oct 2018
- 4 min read
The Ministry of Human Resource Development has launched the web portal of the Scheme “Scheme for Promotion of Academic and Research Collaboration (SPARC)”.
- Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur is the National Coordinating Institute to implement the SPARC programme.
The Objective of Scheme
- SPARC aims at improving the research ecosystem of India’s higher educational institutions by facilitating academic and research collaborations between Indian institutions and the best institutions in the world from 28 selected nations to jointly solve problems of national and international relevance in the first phase.
- Under this Scheme, 600 joint research proposals will be awarded for 2 years to facilitate research collaboration between Indian research groups with the best in class faculty and renowned research groups in the leading universities of the world, in areas that are at the cutting edge of science or with direct social relevance to the mankind, specifically India.
- A set of 5 Thrust Areas which are Fundamental Research, Emergent Areas of Impact, Convergence, Action-Oriented Research, and
Innovation-Driven andsub-theme areas in each thrust area has been identified.
- A set of Nodal Institutions (NI), from India, for each participating foreign country has been identified.
- The role of an NI is to help and coordinate with willing Participating Indian Institutions to forge an alliance with the Institutions of the concerned participating foreign country.
- Intellectual Property Rights (IPR)
- The IPR developed out of the project will be decided as per norms of the participating Institutes. The Indian Institute will get the benefits out of Patents / Royalty, rather than the foreign institute or the individual faculty.
- All disputes will have Indian jurisdiction. Any special deviation will be resolved by MHRD through the SPARC Liaison cell and approved by the Apex Committee.
Expected Outcomes of SPARC
- Providing the best international expertise in solving major national problems.
- Help Indian academicians and researchers unravel deep and open research problems with the help of the best collaborators abroad.
- Enable long-term stay for international faculty, this simultaneously helps in academic interactions, research collaborations, niche course development.
- Enable a large number of Indian students to be trained in high-end experimental facilities available in the best laboratories in the world.
- Produce a large volume of educational and research content in terms of high-quality journal publications, textbooks, research monographs, patents, demonstrable technologies, products that are jointly authored by Indian and Foreign collaborators.
- Develop strong Bilateral relationships in academics and research with top countries in the world.
- Improve International Rankings of Indian Institutions through a combination of internationalization, research outcomes and academic interactions.
- Create a major International Impact for Catapulting Indian Academics and Research and help make it competitive with the best worldwide.